Family Reunion Visas

If you are the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to apply for a temporary or permanent visa to live in Australia.

Parent visa

There are three categories of parent visa subclasses – contributory, non-contributory and temporary sponsored.

In order to apply under the contributory and non-contributory streams, you must satisfy the balance of family test, which requires that at least half of your children reside in Australia, or that there are more children living in Australia than in any other single country.


Contributory visas require the applicant to pay an additional, substantial charge, in exchange for quicker processing times

  • Subclass 173 (Temporary) or 143 (Permanent) Contributory Parent visa
  • Subclass 884 (Temporary) or 864 (Permanent) Contributory Aged Parent visa


Non-contributory parent visas have a low processing priority, with a current wait time in excess of 25 years

Visas include:

  • Subclass 103 (Permanent) Parent visa
  • Subclass 804 (Permanent) Aged Parent visa


This is a temporary visa, which allows you to stay in Australia for up to 3 or 5 years at a time

  • Subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa

Child visa

A child may be able to migrate to Australia if they are the dependent child, orphan relative or adopted child of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Visa options include:

  • Subclass 101 Child visa
  • Subclass 445 Dependent Child visa
  • Subclass 117/ 837 Orphan Relative visa
  • Subclass 102 Adoption visa

Other family visa options

Other family visa options include:

  • Subclass 115/ 835 Remaining Relative visa
  • Subclass 114 Aged Dependent Relative
  • Subclass 116/ 836 Carer visa